(Paper) UGC NET Solved Paper (December-2006)
1. Which of the following is not instructional material?
A. Over Head Projector
B. Audio Casset
C. Printed Material
2. Which of the following statements is not correct?
A. Lecture Method can develop reasoning
B. Lecture Method can develop knowledge
C. Lecture Method is one way process
D. During Lecture Method ,students are passive
3. The main objective of teaching at Higher Education Level is:
A. To prepare students to pass examination
B. To develop the capacity to take decisions
C. To give new information
D. To motivate students to ask questions during lecture
4. Which of the following statement is correct?
A. Reliability ensures validity
B. Validity ensures reliability
C. Reliability and validity are independent of each other
D. Reliability does not depend on objectivity
5. Which of the following indicates evaluation?
A. Ram got 45 marks out of 200
B. Mohan got 38 percent marks in English
C. Shyam got First Division in final examination
D. All the above
6. Research can be conducted by a person who:
A. has studied research methodology
B. holds a postgraduate degree.
C. possesses thinking and reasoning ability
D. is a hard worker
7. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. Objectives of research are stated in first chapter of the thesis
B. Researcher must possess analytical ability
C. Variability is the source of problem
D. All the above
8. Which of the following is not the Method of Research?
9. Research can be classified as :
A. Basic, Applied and Action Research
B. Quantitative and Qualitative Research
C. Philosophical, Historical. Survey and Experimental Research
D. All the above
10. The first step of research is :
A. Selecting a problem
B. Searching a problem
C. Finding a problem
D. Identifying a problem
Directions: Read the following passage and answer the question nos. 11 to
After almost three decades of contemplating Swarovski-encrusted navels on
increasing flat abs, the Mumbai film industry is on a discovery of India and
itself. With budgets of over 30 crore each, four soon to be released movies by
premier directors are exploring the idea of who we are and redefining who the
other is. It is a fundamental question which the bling-bling, glarn-sham and
disharn-disham tends to avoid. It is also a question which binds an audience
when the lights go dim and the projector rolls: as a nation, who are we? As a
people, where are we going’?
The Germans coined a word for it, Zeitgeist, which perhaps Yash Chopra would
not care to pronounce. But at 72, he remains the person who can best capture it.
After being the first to project the diasporic Indian on screen in Lamhe in
1991, he has returned to his roots in a new movie. Veer Zaara, set in 1986,
where Pakistan, the traditional other, the part that got away, is the lover and
the saviour. In Subhas Ghai’s Ktsna, set in 1947, the other is the English
woman. She is not a memsahib, but a mehbooba. In Ketan Mehta’s The Rising, the
East India Englishman is not the evil oppressor of countless cardboard
characterizations, which span the spectrum from Jewel in the Crown to Kranti,
but an honourable friend.
This is Manoj Kumar’s Desh Ki dharti with a difference: there is culture, riot
contentious politics; balle bulle, not bombs no dooriyan (distance), only
All four films are heralding a new hero and heroine. The new hero is fallible
and vulnerable, committed to his dharma, but also not afraid of failure - less
of a boy and more of a man. He even has a grown up name: Veer Pratap Singh in
Veer-Zaara and Mohan Bhargav in Swades. The new heroine is not a babe, but often
a bebe, dressed in traditional Punjabi clothes, often with the stereotypical
body type as well, as in Bride and Prejudice of Gurinder Chadha.
11. Which word Yash Chopra would not be able to pronounce?
A. Bling + bling
12. Who made Lamhe in 1991?
A. Subhash Ghai
B. Yash Chopra
C. Aditya Chopra
D. Sakti Samanta
13. Which movie is associated with Manoj Kumar?
A. Jewel in the Crown
D. Desh Ki dharti
14. Which is the latest film by Yash Chopra?
B. Kabhi Kabhi
C. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
D. Veer Zaara
15. Which is the dress of the heroine in Veer-Zaara?
A. Traditional Gujarati Clothes
B. Traditional Bengali Clothes
C. Traditional Punjabi Clothes
D. Traditional Madrasi Clothes
16. Which one of the following can be termed as verbal communication?
A. Prof. Sharma delivered the lecture in the class room.
B. Signal at the cross-road changed from green to orange.
C. The child was crying to attract the attention of the mother.
D. Dipak wrote a letter for leave application.
17. Which is the 24 hours English Business news channel in India?
A. Zee News
B. NDTV 24 x 7
D. India News
18. Consider the following statements in communication
(i) Hema Malini is the Chairperson of the Children’s Film Society, India.
(ii) Yash Chopra is the Chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification of
(iii) Sharmila Tagore is the Chairperson of National Film Development
(iv) Dilip Kumar. Raj Kapoor and PreetiZinta have all been recipients of Dada
Saheb Phalke Award.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
A. (i) and (iii)
B. (ii) and (iii)
C. (iv) only .
D. (iii) only
19. Which of the following pair is not correctly matched?
A. N. Ram: The Hindu
B. Barkha Dutt : Zee News
C. Pranay Roy: NDTV 24 x 7
D. Prabhu Chawla: Aaj Taak
20. “Because I you, deserve to know” is the punchline used by :
A. The Times of India
B. ‘The Hindu
C. Indian Express
D. Hindustan Times
21. In the sequence of -numbers 8, 24, 12, X, 18, 54 the missing number X
22. If A stands’ for 5, B for 6, C for 7, D for 8 and so on, then the
following numbers stand for 17, 19, 20, 9 and 8 :
23. The letters, in the first set have certain relationship. On the basis
of this relationship what is the right choice for the second set?
AST: BRU : : NQV : ?
24. In a certain code, PAN is written as 31 and PAR as 35. In this code
PAT is written as:
25. The sides of a triangle are in the ratio of 1/2:1/3:1/4. If its
perimeter is 52 cm, the length 52cm of the smallest side is :
A. 9 cm
B. 10 cm
C. 11 cm
D. 12 cm
26. Which one of the following statements is completely non-sensical?
A. He was a bachelor, but he married recently.
B. He is a bachelor, but he married recently.
C. When he married, he was not a bachelor.
D. When he was a bachelor, he was not married.
27. Which of the following statements are mutually contradictory?
(i) All flowers are not fragrant,
(ii) Most flowers are not fragrant,
(iii) None of the flowers is fragrant,
(iv) Most flowers are fragrant.
Choose the correct answer from the code given below:
A. (i) and (ii)
B. (i) and (iii)
C. (ii) and (iii)
D. (iii) and (iv)
28. Which of the following statements say the same thing’?
(i) “I am a teacher” (said by Arvind)
(ii) “I am a teacher” (said by Binod)
(iii) “My son is a teacher” (said by Binod’s father)
(iv) “My brother is a teacher” (said by Binod’s sister)
(v) “My brother is a teacher” (said by Binod’s only sister)
(vi) “My sale enemy is a teacher” (said by Binod’s only enemy) Choose the
correct answer from the code given below:
A. (i) and (ii)
B. (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v)
C. (ii) and (vi)
D. (v) and (vi)
29. Which of the following are correct ways of arguing?
(i) There can be no second husband, without a second wife.
(ii) Anil is a friend of Bob, Bob is a friend of Raj, hence Anil is a friend of
(iii) A is equal to B, B is equal to C; hence A is equal to C.
(i) (iv) If everyone is a liar, then we cannot prove it.
Choose the correct answer from the code given below:
A. (iii) and (iv)
B. (i), (iii) and (iv)
C. (ii), (iii) and (iv)
D. (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv)
30. Which of the following statement/s ‘are ALWAYS FALSE?
(i) The sun will not rise in the East some day.
(ii) A wooden table is not a table,
(iii) Delhi city will be drowned under water,
(iv) Cars run on water as fuel.
Choose the Correct answer from the code given below:
A. (i), (iii) and (iv)
B. Only (iii)
C. (i), (ii) and (iii)
D. (ii) alone
Directions: Study the following graph’ and answer question numbers 31 to
31. In the year 2000, which of the following. Companies earned maximum
32. In the year 2001, which of the following Companies earned minimum
percent profit ?
33. In the years 2000 and 200t, which of the following Companies earned
maximum average percent profit?
34. Human Development Report for ‘each’ of the year at global level has
been published by:
D. World Bank
35. The number of students in four classes A, B, C, D and their respective
mean marks obtained by each of the class are given below:
36. LAN stands for:
A. Local and National
B. Local Area Network
C. Large Area Network
D. Live Area Network
37. Which of the following statement is correct?
A. Modem is a software
B. Modem helps in stabilizing the voltage
C. Modem is the operating system
D. Modem converts the analog signal into digital signal and vice-versa
38. Which of the following is the appropriate definition of a computer?
A. Computer is a machine that can process information.
B. Computer is an electronic device that can store, retrieve and process both
qualitative and quantitative data quickly and accurately.
C. Computer is an electronic device that can store, retrieve and quickly process
only quantitative data.
D. Computer is a machine that can store, retrieve and process quickly and
accurately only qualitative information
39. Information and Communication Technology includes:
A. On line learning
B. Learning through the use of EDUSAT
C. Web Based Learning
D. All the above
40. Which of the following is the appropriate format of URL of e-mail?
41. The most significant impact of volcanic eruption has been felt in the
A. change in weather
B. sinking of islands
C. loss of vegetation
D. extinction of animals
42. With absorption and decomposition of CO2 in ocean water beyond desired
level there will be:
A. decrease in temperature
B. increase in salinity
C. growth of phyto plakton
D. rise in sea level
43. Arrange column II in proper sequence so as to match it with column I
and choose the correct answer from the code given below:
44. The maximum emission of pollutants from fuel sources in India is
caused by :
C. Refuse burning
D. Vegetable waste product
45. The urbanization process accounts for the wind in the urban centres
during nights to remain:
A. faster than that in rural areas
B. slower than that in rural areas
C. the same as that in rural areas
D. cooler than that in rural areas
46. The University Grants Commission was constituted on the recommendation
A. Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan Commission
B. Mudaliar Commission
C. Sargent Commission
D. Kothari Commission
47. Which one of the following Articles of the Constitution of India
safeguards the rights of Minorities to establish and run educational
institutions of their own liking?
A. Article 19
B. Article 29
C. Article 30
D. Article 31
48. Match List-I (Institutions) with List-II (Functions) and select the
correct answer by using the code given below :
49. Foundation training to the newly recruited IAS (Probationers) is
imparted by :
A. Indian Institute of Public Administration
B. Administrative Staff College of India
C. L.B.S. National Academy of Administration
D. Centre for Advanced Studies
50. Electoral disputes arising out of Presidential and Vice-Presidential
Elections are settled by:
A. Election Commission of India
B. Joint Committee of Parliament
C. Supreme Court of India
D. Central Election Tribunal
1. (D) 2. (A) 3. (B) 4. (B) 5. (D) 6. (C) 7. (D) 8. (B) 9. (D) 10. (D)
11. (B) 12. (B) 13. (D) 14. (D) 15. (C) 16. (C) 17. (C) 18. (D) 19. (B) 20. (D)
21. (C) 22. (B) 23. (D) 24. (B) 25. (D) 26. (B) 27. (B) 28. (B) 29. (A) 30. (D)
31. (D) 32. (A) 33. (A) 34. (A) 35. (A) 36. (B) 37. (D) 38. (B) 39. (D) 40. (B)
41. (A) 42. (C) 43. (C) 44. (C) 45. (B) 46. (A) 47. (C) 48. (B) 49. (C) 50. (C)