UGC NET : Question Paper of Exam held on 22 Jan 2017 Paper I Set X
1. When verbal and non-verbal messages are contradictory, it is said that most people believe in
(1) indeterminate messages (2) verbal messages
(3) non-verbal messages (4) aggressive messages
2. The typical feature of an information-rich classroom lecture is in the nature of being
(1) Sedentary (2) Staggered
(3) Factual (4) Sectoral
3. Expressive communication is driven by
(1) Passive aggression
(2) Encoder’s personality characteristics
(3) External clues
(4) Encoder-decoder contract
4. Positive classroom communication leads to
(1) Coercion (2) Submission
(3) Confrontation (4) Persuasion
5. Classroom communication is the basis of
(1) Social identity
(2) External inanities
(3) Biased passivity
(4) Group aggression
6. Effective communication pre-supposes
(1) Non-alignment (2) Domination
(3) Passivity (4) Understanding
7. The next term in the following series
YEB, WFD, UHG, SKI, ? will be
(1) TLO (2) QOL
(3) QLO (4) GQP
8. If A is coded as C, M as I, N as P, S as O, I as A, P as N, E as M, O as E and C as S, then the code of COMPANIES will be
(1) SPEINMOAC (2) NCPSEIOMA
(3) SMOPIEACN (4) SEINCPAMO
9. Among the following, identify the continuous type of data :
(1) Number of languages a person speaks
(2) Number of children in a household
(3) Population of cities
(4) Weight of students in a class
10. Ali buys a glass, a pencil box and a cup and pays ` 21 to the shopkeeper. Rakesh buys a cup, two pencil boxes and a glass and pays ` 28 to the shopkeeper. Preeti buys two glasses, a cup and two pencil boxes and pays ` 35 to the shopkeeper. The cost of 10 cups will be
(1) ₹ 40
(2) ₹ 60
(3) ₹ 80
(4) ₹ 70
11. Out of four cities given below three are alike in some manner while the fourth one is different. Identify the odd one
12. Given below are some characteristics of reasoning. Select the code that states a characteristic which is not of deductive reasoning :
(1) The conclusion must be based on observation and experiment.
(2) The conclusion should be supported by the premise/premises.
(3) The conclusion must follow from the premise/premises necessarily.
(4) The argument may be valid or invalid.
13. The missing term in the series 1, 4, 27, 16, ?, 36, 343, … is
(1) 30 (2) 49
(3) 125 (4) 81
14. Men and woman may have different reproductive strategies but neither can be considered inferior or superior to the other, any more than a bird’s wings can be considered superior or inferior to a fish’s fins. What type of argument it is ?
(1) Biological (2) Physiological
(3) Analogical (4) Hypothetical
15. Among the following propositions two are related in such a way that they cannot both be true but can both be false. Select the code that states those two propositions.
(a) Every student is attentive.
(b) Some students are attentive.
(c) Students are never attentive.
(d) Some students are not attentive.
(1) (a) and (b) (2) (a) and (c)
(3) (b) and (c) (4) (c) and (d)
16. Given below are two premises ((a) and (b)). From those two premises four conclusions (i), (ii), (iii) & (iv) are drawn. Select the code that states the conclusions validly drawn from the premises (taking singly or jointly.)
Premises : (a) Untouchability is a curse.
(b) All hot pans are untouchable.
Conclusions : (i) All hot pans are curse.
(ii) Some untouchable things are hot pans.
(iii) All curses are untouchability.
(iv) Some curses are untouchability.
(1) (i) and (ii) (2) (ii) and (iii)
(3) (iii) and (iv) (4) (ii) and (iv)
17. If the statement ‘None but the brave wins the race’ is false which of the following statements can be claimed to be true ?
Select the correct code :
(1) All brave persons win the race.
(2) Some persons who win the race are not brave.
(3) Some persons who win the race are brave.
(4) No person who wins the race is brave.
18. If two standard form categorical propositions with the same subject and predicate are related in such a manner that if one is undetermined the other must be undetermined, what is their relation ?
(1) Contrary (2) Subcontrary
(3) Contradictory (4) Sub-altern
19. The number of years in which there was an increase in revenue from at least two categories of items, is
20. If the year 2016 were to show the same growth in terms of total sales revenue as the year 2015 over the year 2014, then the revenue in the year 2016 must be approximately :
(1) ₹ 194 lakh
(2) ₹ 187 lakh
(3) ₹ 172 lakh
(4) ₹ 177 lakh
21. In 2015, approximately what percent of total revenue came from books ?